Thursday, August 30, 2012

Elections

Elections
Genesis 18:19
New American Standard Bible (NASB)

19 For I have [a](A)chosen him, so that he may (B)command his children and his household after him to (C)keep the way of the Lord by doing righteousness and justice, so that the Lord may bring upon Abraham (D)what He has spoken about him.”

There is a falling away of some believers, but if it persists, it shows that their faith was not genuine and they were not born of God.

1 John 2:19, "They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out, that it might be made plain that they all are not of us." Similarly, the parable of the four soils as interpreted in Luke 8:9-14 pictures people who "hear the word, receive it with joy; but these have no root, they believe for a while and in a time of temptation fall away."

John 6:37-40
New Living Translation (NLT)
37 However, those the Father has given me will come to me, and I will never reject them. 38 For I have come down from heaven to do the will of God who sent me, not to do my own will. 39 And this is the will of God, that I should not lose even one of all those he has given me, but that I should raise them up at the last day. 40 For it is my Father’s will that all who see his Son and believe in him should have eternal life. I will raise them up at the last day.”

John 6:43-44
New Living Translation (NLT)
43 But Jesus replied, “Stop complaining about what I said. 44 For no one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them to me, and at the last day I will raise them up.
John 6:63-65
New Living Translation (NLT)
63 The Spirit alone gives eternal life. Human effort accomplishes nothing. And the very words I have spoken to you are spirit and life. 64 But some of you do not believe me.” (For Jesus knew from the beginning which ones didn’t believe, and he knew who would betray him.) 65 Then he said, “That is why I said that people can’t come to me unless the Father gives them to me.”

John 6:70
New Living Translation (NLT)
70 Then Jesus said, “I chose the twelve of you, but one is a devil.”
(Even Evil is chosen by God)

John 8:47
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
47 (A)He who is of God hears the words of God; for this reason you do not hear them, because you are not of God.”

John 10:26
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
26 But you do not believe because (A)you are not of My sheep.

John 13:18
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
18 (A)I do not speak of all of you. I know the ones I have (B)chosen; but it is (C)that the Scripture may be fulfilled, ‘(D)He who eats My bread has lifted up his heel against Me.’

John 15:16
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
16 (A)You did not choose Me but I chose you, and appointed you that you would go and (B)bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that (C)whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you.


John 15:19
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
19 If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but (A)I chose you out of the world, (B)because of this the world hates you.

John 17:12
New Living Translation (NLT)
12 During my time here, I protected them by the power of the name you gave me.[a] I guarded them so that not one was lost, except the one headed for destruction, as the Scriptures foretold.

 D.Martyn Lloyd-Jones
Religion is man searching for God; Christianity is God seeking man, manifesting Himself to him, drawing Himself unto him.

Jeremiah 1:5
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
“Before I (A)formed you in the womb I knew you,
And (B)before you were born I consecrated you;
I have (C)appointed you a prophet to the nations.”

Jeremiah 31:3
New Living Translation (NLT)
Long ago the Lord said to Israel:
“I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love.
    With unfailing love I have drawn you to myself.

Philippians 1:6
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until (A)the day of Christ Jesus.

Ephesians 1:3-6
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
(A)Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in (B)the heavenly places in Christ, just as (C)He chose us in Him before (D)the foundation of the world, that we would be (E)holy and blameless before [a]Him. (F)In love [b]He (G)predestined us to (H)adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, (I)according to the [c]kind intention of His will, (J)to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in (K)the Beloved.

Ephesians 1:9-11
New Living Translation (NLT)
God has now revealed to us his mysterious plan regarding Christ, a plan to fulfill his own good pleasure. 10 And this is the plan: At the right time he will bring everything together under the authority of Christ—everything in heaven and on earth. 11 Furthermore, because we are united with Christ, we have received an inheritance from God,[a] for he chose us in advance, and he makes everything work out according to his plan.

Romans 3:10-18
New Living Translation (NLT)
10 As the Scriptures say,
“No one is righteous—
    not even one.
11 No one is truly wise;
    no one is seeking God.
12 All have turned away;
    all have become useless.
No one does good,
    not a single one.”[a]
13 “Their talk is foul, like the stench from an open grave.
    Their tongues are filled with lies.”
“Snake venom drips from their lips.”[b]
14     “Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness.”[c]
15 “They rush to commit murder.
16     Destruction and misery always follow them.
17 They don’t know where to find peace.”[d]
18     “They have no fear of God at all.”[e]

Romans 8:15
New Living Translation (NLT)
15 So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God’s Spirit when he adopted you as his own children.[a] Now we call him, “Abba, Father.”[b]

Romans 8:28-33
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
28 And we know that [a]God causes (A)all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are (B)called according to His purpose. 29 For those whom He (C)foreknew, He also (D)predestined to become (E)conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the (F)firstborn among many brethren; 30 and these whom He (G)predestined, He also (H)called; and these whom He called, He also (I)justified; and these whom He justified, He also (J)glorified.
31 (K)What then shall we say to these things? (L)If God is for us, who is against us? 32 He who (M)did not spare His own Son, but (N)delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things? 33 Who will bring a charge against (O)God’s elect? (P)God is the one who justifies;

Romans 9:11-12
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
11 for though the twins were not yet born and had not done anything good or bad, so that (A)God’s purpose according to His choice would [a]stand, not [b]because of works but [c]because of Him who calls, 12 it was said to her, “(B)The older will serve the younger.”

Romans 9:15-16
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
15 For He says to Moses, “(A)I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” 16 So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who (B)runs, but on (C)God who has mercy.

Romans 11:7
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
What then? What (A)Israel is seeking, it has not obtained, but [a]those who were chosen obtained it, and the rest were (B)hardened;



2 Timothy 1:9
New Living Translation (NLT)
For God saved us and called us to live a holy life. He did this, not because we deserved it, but because that was his plan from before the beginning of time—to show us his grace through Christ Jesus.

1 Thessalonians 5:23-24
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
23 Now (A)may the God of peace (B)Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your (C)spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, (D)without blame at (E)the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 (F)Faithful is He who (G)calls you, and He also will bring it to pass.

2 Thessalonians 2:13
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
13 (A)But we should always give thanks to God for you, (B)brethren beloved by the Lord, because (C)God has chosen you [a]from the beginning (D)for salvation [b](E)through sanctification [c]by the Spirit and faith in the truth.

Isaiah 53:1
New Living Translation (NLT)
53 Who has believed our message?
    To whom has the Lord revealed his powerful arm?

(Excerpt from John Piper)

John 10:15, "I lay down my life for the sheep." The sheep of Christ are those whom the Father draws to the Son. "You do not believe, because you do not belong to my sheep." Notice: being a sheep enables you to become a believer, not vice versa. So the sheep for whom Christ dies are the ones chosen by the Father to give to the Son.

In John 17:6,9,19 Jesus prays, "I have manifested Thy name to the men whom Thou gavest me out of the world; Thine they were, and Thou gavest them to me...I am praying for them; I am not praying for the world but for those whom Thou hast given me, for they are thine...And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be consecrated in truth." The consecration in view here is the death of Jesus which he is about to undergo. His death and his intercession are uniquely for his disciples, not for the world in general.
John 11:51-52, "[Caiaphas] being high priest that year prophesied that Jesus should die for the nation, and not for the nation only, but to gather into one the children of God who are scattered abroad." There are children of God scattered throughout the world. These are the sheep. These are the ones the Father will draw to the Son. Jesus died to gather these people into one. The point is the same as John 10:15-16, "I lay down my life for the sheep. And I have other sheep that are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will heed my voice." Christ died for his sheep, that is, for the children of God.

Revelation 5:9, "Worthy art Thou to take the scroll and to open its seals, for Thou wast slain and by Thy blood didst ransom men for God from every tribe and tongue and people and nation." In accordance with

John 10:16 John does not say that the death of Christ ransomed all men but that it ransomed men from all the tribes of the world.
Something to think about: "Judas heard all Christ's sermons." - Thomas Goodwin

Christ did not die for any upon condition, if they do believe; but He died for all God's elect, that they should believe - John Owen

Acts 13:48
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
48 When the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying (A)the word of [a]the Lord; and as many as (B)had been appointed to eternal life believed.

Acts 13:48
New Living Translation (NLT)
48 When the Gentiles heard this, they were very glad and thanked the Lord for his message; and all who were chosen for eternal life became believers.

Galatians 1:15-16
New Living Translation (NLT)
15 But even before I was born, God chose me and called me by his marvelous grace. Then it pleased him 16 to reveal his Son to me[a] so that I would proclaim the Good News about Jesus to the Gentiles.
~Martyn Lloyd-Jones (Ephesians - God's Ultimate Purpose)
"Roman Catholics dislike the doctrine of assurance of salvation, and denounce it. They do not want us to have personal certainity; our assurance must lie in the Church to which we commit ourselves... But the essence of Protestantism, as Martin Luther discovered to his great and eternal joy, is that the individual Christian may know his salvation is certain; he may defy all devils and hell and Satan himself; the Christian knows the Christ whom he has believed; his hope is sure; his calling and election are sure."

Further Reference:

No comments:

Post a Comment